e-Governance Technologies and Services
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 2 years
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in IT or ICT. Bachelor's degree in Economics, Social Science or Law fields. It is an advantage to have work experience in the public or private sector related to e-governance
Tuition fees and scholarships: 1 ECTS = 100 EUR. Nominal study load per 1 year = 60 ECTS/€6000, 22 tuition fee waiver scholarships available that guarantee free studies. Detailed information about the scholarship is available here
Estonia’s e-government and the country’s other innovative e-solutions have grown into one of Europe’s successful stories of the last decade. Tallinn Tech has taken a leap into the future of e-Governance education. Largely focusing on IT solutions at governmental level, its interoperability between different faculties in the University is giving fundamental background also in other aspects (law, public management and economics) of government. The program is especially important due to the fact that it is unique in Estonia and in Europe and the demand for the specialist with broad knowledge in e-governance is increasing tremendously.
The Master’s e-Governance Technologies and Services studying programme gives students broad knowledge on developing a modern state, its transition to e-governance and paperless management. Studies include a wide overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
What you can expect from this Master's programme:
- Experienced lectures
- Access to world-class know-how
- Hands-on collaboration with practioners in the field
- Focuses on designing, developing and improving governmental systems and implementing e-government components on every state level
- Specialization in IT, innovation/services in public and private sectors or adoption and marketing of e-government
- User-oriented services offered by government that are based on ICT
- Offers experience in the field, practical research and project work already during studies
- Curriculum is closely related to “e-state technologies laboratory” offering students a possibility to do research in e-governance field as well as take part in new development projects
The curriculum will help to prepare managers and specialists responsible for the development of e-Governance, who are able to comprehend the business processes and the management of public administration; and are familiar with the information systems and software development.
Giving students a broad knowledge about the transition to e-governance, its management and development, helps graduates to work as a public sector high-level officials whilst leading eGov projects by having also a wider overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
Master’s degree holders have the opportunity to continue their studies in the PhD programme.
Arvo Ott, Executive Director of the e-Governance Academy:
“e-Governance is not only technology but also innovation, policy, legal and fiscal frameworks, management and economy. The curriculum of the programme brings together science, practices and knowledge in these fields and trains very internationally needed specialists of the e-Governance.”
The e-Governance Academy
- is a non-governmental organization, which shares Estonia's expertise and experience on state level and has trained and consulted governmental officials in more than 40 countries around the world, including countries like China, India, Japan, Canada, Cuba, Georgia, United Kingdom and many more.
„Studying at TTÜ gives students the opportunity to learn about the Estonian e-governance infrastructure from a legal, technological, social, and organizational perspective. Students are able to see first hand how Estonians use e-solutions everyday. The practical experience is vital for understanding the implementation of sustainable e-governance“ – Crystal from USA
„Study of IT can sometimes be very restrictive with lacking cross discipline views, but in TTÜ’s e-Gov program, a very comprehensive knowledge could be gained through the perspective of people who have had actually been part of the Estonian e-Governance revolution“ – Shobhit from Nepal
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has specific prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in IT, Law Social Sciences, Economics or other related fields;
- CV (Europassport format in English);
- Motivation letter;
- Online interview.
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
Please include following:
- clearly defined perspectives and motivation for developing the information society and e-governance era;
- logical, analytical and comprehensive description of e-governance based on the country candidate chooses to take as an example;
- previous experiences in the field, practical work experience in public sector or with the technical solutions used in public sector;
- proposals for future master's thesis topic in the field of e-governance technologies and/or services;
- grammatically correct and fluent English.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
In order to be invited to interview, candidate should get at least 3.5 points for motivation letter.
During the interview the follwing aspects will be evaluated:
- communication and presentation skills;
- level of e-governance awareness;
- Motivation to complete selected study programme as well as to contribute to the field by applying the acquired knowledge in future career;
- analytical thinking and argumentation skills;
- ability to work on concrete projects both in a team and individually.
The length of an interview vary between 10-12 minutes and will be conducted by the specialists in the programme you have applied for.
Threshold 7 points - applicants receiving at least 7 points on their entrance exams get admissions to TTÜ.
For general admission requirements please visit the Admissions section.
The yearly fee for a typical student is calculated based on 60 ECTS per year (full study load). The following is an estimation based on 2018/2019 fees:
- 1 ECTS is 100 EUR
- first study year is 6000 EUR
PS! Non-EU students must pay in advance for 60 ECTS (yearly load) before starting their studies.
A tuition fee waiver is a non-monetary scholarship granted automatically to the best ranked candidates, according to the points earned in the course of admission. There is no separate application required. Decisions are made based on the Dreamapply application. Scholarship is awarded for the whole study period. Recipients of the scholarships are required to study full-time, i.e. with the workload of at least 60 ECTS per year. If the student starts studying part-time, he/she will lose the tuition fee waiver and will start paying for studies.
Please check here for scholarship options.