You have been accepted to Tallinn University of Technology and are excited about moving. The first thing you need is accommodation. Places in dormitories are in high demand and unfortunately, not every student can get a place. We have put together some useful tips and tricks you can use along the way on finding your new home.
- Make a budget. Think through what kind of apartment you want to rent. Ask yourself questions like: Do I want to rent a place in the hostel or an apartment? Do you want to rent an apartment alone or with someone else? Keep in mind that it prices will go higher the closer you get to the city centre.
- Look through ads and pages to find yourself the perfect place. When you are trying to find place in a hostel, write to them directly and ask for the information about long-term fee. Most of the hostels will have discounts if you stay longer. When using the search option, make sure your city is marked as Tallinn. Be sure to check out some of the websites we have linked on our website.
- Have patience! Renting an apartment in Tallinn might be quite a long process as there are always more demand than supply. Start this process as early as possible.
- Be careful with personal information and avoiding fraud. Before signing the contract and sending any personal details, ask for video call/ Skype meeting. Do not send copies of passport/ID or money, before you are not sure. Google search images/people/email addresses. If it is a scam, there is usually some sort of proof already up there! Be smart, do not open links people are sending you if you are not sure about the content!
- Read the contract. When you have found a suitable apartment, please be sure to read the contract carefully. Unfortunately, there are people who make a living out of frauds.