Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 2 years
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical/electronics engineering; ICT; physics.
Tuition fees and scholarships: 1 ECTS = 55 EUR. Nominal study load per 1 year = 60 ECTS/€3300, 15 tuition fee waiver scholarships available that guarantee free studies. Detailed information about the scholarship is available here
Number of places available: 20
This programme aims to give students professional knowledge and skills for a successful career in the future that are orientated to engineering technologies, such as mechatronics, robotics and automation, which presume professional abilities to integrate, conduct and lead complex engineering projects integrating ICT and hardware technologies for solving practical problems and starting a new business. This programme is strongly orientated towards practical, hands-on projects and developing practical skills supported by laboratories of mechatronics, robotics, machine vision, metrology and measurement technology and computer classes.
Most of the courses are project based supported by theoretical materals. There is a project course on the first year containing the topics of machine vision and mechatronics systems aimed to support development of a real automation or robotic systems by student groups ending with presenting a conference paper as a rule. Examples of this kind projects are „Quadrocopter gesture control sytem“, „Automated inspection system of electric motor staator and rootor sheets“ and „Development of the camera system for the nanosatellite“, etc.
Future belongs to the specialities which provide flexible and integrated deep technical knowledge as it is the case in Mechatronics curricula. A good proof of this is the fact that Forbes nominates two MSc Mechatronics graduates among the EU most successful young leaders and entrepreneurs in Industry and Science in 2015.
- The programme offers a unique opportunity to acquire integrated knowledge and skills in electrical/electronics and mechanical engineering along with deep ICT knowledge by the courses from the faculties of Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology and Power Engineering
- Strong orientation towards facilitating the development of business and entrepreneurial skills, supported by strong practical course projects
- The programme conforms to internationally recognized professional mechatronics engineering qualification standards
- Double Degree option in MSc Mechatronics in collaboration with ITMO University St. Petersburg http://en.ifmo.ru/
- Semester or internship abroad in world leading universities by support of Erasmus+ programme
- Scholarships available for the best students
The graduates of the programme possess skills applicable in a broad sphere, such as automation and robotics engineers in industry; project managers and entrepreneurs and managers of innovative SMEs orientated towards developing cutting edge technology or medicinal devices; health and space industry; security; products combining hardware and ICT, etc. Active and bright mechatronics engineers are urgently needed in the fields of automatic production lines and robotics such as ABB or SIEMENS. Students can also continue their studies at PhD level in mechatronics or in a related field.
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has specific prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree or equal level graduation certificate (mechanical or electrical/electronics engineering, ICT or physics)
- Skype interview- will be conducted only to candidates who have passed preliminary evaluation
Motivation letter/statement of purpose
For the programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
Please include following:
- Why do you apply for the chosen programme? How this programme might comply with your past and future career and personal interests? (0-2 points).
- Why do you think you are the right person for this programme? Please describe your previous experience, achievements and interest in the related fields? (0-2 points).
- How does your academic background fit to the degree programme you are applying for? What knowledge and skills gathered in your previous education will be useful and which of the courses offered in this programme are particularly beneficial in pursuing your professional goals? (0-2 points).
- Why do you want to study at the Tallinn University of Technology and especially in the field of Mechatronics? (0-2 points).
- In which way do you intend to contribute to the economic and social development in the world, please point out 1…2 more detailed engineering/research directions you would like to concentrate in future? (0-2 points).
Grading scale: 0-10 points.
Positive scale: 5-10 points.
The candidate must collect at least 5 points to be in the competition.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
The aim of interviews is to understand your academic potential, motivation and suitability for your chosen course. Questions are composed to assess your:
- intellectual flexibility and analytical skills;
- motivation argumentation;
- self-expression ability and technical communication skills;
- awareness of the personal knowledge and skills, incl. future perspective and ambition;
- practical experience in the field of Mechatronics or related fields;
- about the information you provided in your written application;
- relevance of the knowledge from the previous studies for the applied programme;
- deepness of the acquired knowledge from the BSc level;
- previous social activity and initiative;
- preparedness for the cultural changes and knowledge about TUT, Estonia and EU.
The length of an interview vary between 20-45 minutes and will be conducted by the professionals in the programme you have applied for.
Grading scale 0-1
Positive scale 5-10
Candidate must collect at least 5 points to be in the competition.
For general admission requirements please visit the Admissions section.
The yearly fee for a typical student is calculated based on 60 ECTS per year (full study load). The following is an estimation based on 2017/2018 fees:
- 1 ECTS is 55 EUR
- first study year is 3300 EUR
A tuition fee waiver is a non-monetary scholarship granted automatically to the best ranked candidates, according to the points earned in the course of admission. Scholarship is awarded for the whole study period. Recipients of the scholarships are required to study full-time, i.e. with the workload of at least 60 ECTS per year. If the student starts studying part-time, he/she will lose the tuition fee waiver and will start paying for studies.
For scholarship options please check www.ttu.ee/scholarships.
"With the introduction of the Master of Mechatronics programme taught in English, the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering has made a step forward in internationalisation and innovation. This is also a large step towards becoming a top recognized research university in the Baltic region and attracting more talented international students, as well a world-class academic staff. The programme provides interdisciplinary integration of modern manufacturing technologies. Graduates of this programme will have excellent job prospects in manufacturing and service industries worldwide or can continue their studies in a PhD research programme."
Prof. Dr. Vu Trieu Minh
Head of Mechano-system Components, Department of Mechatronics